(That's Save Our Sea Ice in Polar Bear Language)
Polar Bears International’s Save Our Sea Ice (SOS!) campaign focuses attention on the urgent challenges polar bears face in a changing Arctic—with longer ice-free periods threatening their survival—and the part each of us can play in stopping global warming.
The campaign features a series of conservation challenges that result in energy savings and community action. They begin each year on International Polar Bear Day, February 27th, and continue through Polar Bear Week in early November. We’ve linked our challenges to earth awareness days, but you can launch any of these efforts at any time:
- International Polar Bear Day, February 27 - Speak up for green energy and take our Thermostat Challenge.
- Earth Hour, March 23 - Speak up for energy conservation and join our Power Down Effort—at home, school, and in the office.
- Earth Day, April 22 - Speak up for Idle-Free Zones and take our No Idling Challenge.
- Endangered Species Day, May 17 - Speak up for alternative commuting and take our Bike Commute Challenge.
- World Oceans Day, June 8 - Speak up for local and sustainable food choices and make a Green House Grocery List.
- Arctic Sea Ice Day, July 13 - Speak up about the true cost of carbon and take our Green House Energy Challenge.
- Polar Bear Week, November 4-10 - Speak up for action on climate change and commit to buying locally, buying less, and supporting climate friendly companies.
To save polar bear habitat, we need to embrace sustainable living as a society. A promising shift is underway in sectors including transportation, energy usage, and food production—all of which have an impact on greenhouse gas emissions. You can become part of the momentum for change by speaking up in support of policies and processes that will help us transition to renewable energy and a sustainable society. It’s also important to modify your own habits and take action in your community in support of greener choices—from bikes lanes to farmer’s markets—that make a low-carbon lifestyle easier.