PBI's International Polar Bear Day is February 27th! Every year, this global event draws attention to the challenges polar bears face in a warming Arctic—and how we each can help.
You’re invited to celebrate with us by taking our Thermostat Challenge to save energy for polar bears—and then make it a habit:
- Turn down the heat a degree or two and enjoy winter coziness, or hygge, for polar bears—put on your fuzzy slippers and a comfy sweater, light candles, sip a hot drink, or bundle up for a walk in the snow
- Share photos of winter coziness on social media with #PolarBearDay, #ThermostatChallenge, #WinterCoziness
- In summer, set your air-conditioning thermostat higher
- Install a programmable thermostat for year-round savings—and take additional energy-saving steps like insulating your home and weather-stripping windows and doors
- Make it a community-wide challenge! See our Thermostat Challenge Toolkit for tips and ideas.
- Also check out our Heating and Cooling Infographic, which shows how individual actions scale up to make a BIG difference.
The Polar Bear Connection
Using less energy produced by carbon-based fuels reduces our carbon emissions and can slow and even stop global warming, in turn saving our sea ice. Polar bears require sea ice for efficient hunting. Without sea ice, polar bears will decline in range and numbers, making them vulnerable to extinction in the future.
Did You Know?
Heating and cooling account for roughly half the energy consumption in an average home, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Take an extra step for polar bears by signing our petition asking for a fair price on carbon. This will level the playing field for renewable energy, providing a brighter future for polar bears—and people too!
The Thermostat Challenge is part of our Save Our Sea Ice (SOS) campaign, a series of celebrations centered around action on climate change. It begins each year on International Polar Bear Day, February 27th, and continues through Polar Bear Week in the fall—although you can take the challenges at any time.