(SOS! - That's Save Our Sea Ice in Polar Bear Language)
Polar Bears International’s Save Our Sea Ice campaign focuses attention on the urgent challenges polar bears face in a warming Arctic and the part each of us can play in stopping climate change.
The campaign features a series of conservation challenges that result in energy savings and community action. We’ve linked our challenges to earth awareness days, but you can launch them at any time:
- International Polar Bear Day, February 27 - Speak up about the true cost of carbon and take our Thermostat Challenge.
- Earth Hour, March 28 - Speak up for energy conservation and take our Power Down Challenge.
- Earth Day, April 22 - Speak up for Idle-Free Zones and take our No Idling Challenge.
- Endangered Species Day, May 15 - Speak up for alternative commuting and take our Pedal for Polar Bears Challenge.
- World Oceans Day, June 8 - Speak up for energy savings and take our Kilowatt Challenge.
- Arctic Sea Ice Day, July 11 - Speak up for local and sustainable food choices and make a Green House Grocery List.
- Polar Bear Week, November 2-8 - Speak up for action on climate change and then Take the Next Step!
To save polar bear habitat, we need to greatly reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Promising shifts are underway in sectors including transportation, energy usage, and food production—all of which have an impact. You can become part of the momentum for change by speaking up in support of policies and processes that will help us transition to a sustainable society. It’s also important to modify your own habits and take action in your community in support of greener choices—from bikes lanes to farmer’s markets—that make a low-carbon lifestyle easier.