Make plans to join our 2014 Spring Tundra Connections® webcasts!
To join us, review the schedule below then:
- Option 1: Register HERE! And watch on our Polar Bear TV!
- Option 2: Register and watch on Google+: HERE for Polar Bear Play, HERE for Polar Bears and Cheetahs
Read our FAQ for more details.
TUESDAY, APRIL 22ND AT 11 AM CENTRAL
TOPIC: Polar Bear Play
Do polar bears play? Watch Buzz and Neil, two Como Park Zoo polar bears, test their skills at the zoo's training wall while learning about polar bear behavior.
Target Audience: Grades 4-8 and General
Partner: Como Park Zoo & Conservatory
- Moderator: Leah Knickerbocker, Polar Bears International
- Megan Owen, Institute for Conservation Research, San Diego Zoo Global
- Julie Yarrington, Como Park Zoo & Conservatory
- Buzz and Neil, Como Park Zoo polar bears
TUESDAY, APRIL 22ND AT 1 PM CENTRAL
TOPIC: Polar Bears and Cheetahs: Hope for Two Iconic Species
Join us for a new dialogue on climate change with scientists Steven Amstrup and Laurie Marker. Learn about two amazing species, the cheetah and the polar bear, and explore two threatened ecosystems, the African savannah and Arctic sea ice.
Target Audience: General
Partner: Cheetaah Conservation Fund
- Moderator: Kieran Mulvaney, author, HBO correspondent
- Dr. Steven C. Amstrup, Polar Bears International
- Dr. Laurie Marker, Cheetah Conservation Fund
THURSDAY, MARCH 20TH at 11:00 AM CENTRAL
Topic: Connected Classrooms - Explore the Tundra through Google Street View
The Google Maps team visited the polar bear capital of the world last fall and collected Street View imagery with our help. Join us to learn how we collected the imagery, how climate change is impacting polar bears, and what you can do to help!
Target Audience: Grades 4-8, STEM Educators, and At Large
Partner: Google Maps
Educational Materials: Google Streetview Unit and Lessons
Missed our live webcast? Watch the archive here.
After the broadcast, take our post-broadcast survey to help us improve the program.
Special thanks to Cheetah Conservation Fund, Como Zoo, Google Maps, Google for Education Connected Classrooms, and San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research. To learn more about the Google Street View Trek in Churchill, Manitoba visit the Treks page HERE. Bear hugs also to Julene Reed, an Apple Distinguished Educator, Google Certified Teacher and PBI Education Advisory Council member, who directs the PBI Tundra Connections program.